Monday, March 4, 2019

An Old Bag of Tricks

A year ago during my first Slice of Life Challenge, I had a lot of fifth graders participating. Each day they would ask me if they could read what I wrote. Most days, I showed them, but sometimes I didn't feel comfortable letting them read my words. I realized about half way in they were searching for ideas. So during the commenting challenge, I compiled a list of posts that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. I printed out the list and handed it to my students. It seems fitting that today, a day that I just don't feel well and can't really think straight, I am going to look at that document that I created to give me an idea for my slice. (Looking for ideas, read this post for inspiration.)

I can write with that....

I can write with the pounding going on inside my head as each side sees who could be louder.

I can write with the two kiddos marching down the hall for group saying "It's only the two Robertsons today."

I can write with the echo of the train as it passes my house across the river on this clear and cold evening.

I can write with the words of my son asking if I am ready to help him study for his science test.

I can write with the heater blowing full force trying to make its way into the cool house.

I can write with the heaviness of my eyelids trying to stay open as to not allow this cold to win.

And I can write with the clicking of the keys as they make their way across this page.


2 comments:

  1. Such a simple, yet effective way to write when you think you have nothing to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE strategies to CURE writers' block. When I am stuck....sometimes I am just stuck! Yet, usually, when I am stuck, it is some overwhelming aspect of my life that is holding me back.On those days, I need a prompt. On those day, my students need prompts!

    ReplyDelete