Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The Other Side of the Fence

In honor of being a parent at parent teacher conferences today and not a teacher, I have stepped out of my comfort zone, once again, and have written a poem.


The Other Side of the Fence

Today I sat on the other side
Listening to all the things
About my son
And daughters
Strengths
Weaknesses
Observations

I found myself wanting to hear
How they saw
Each one of them

I then observed
The teachers
Their body language
Their preparation
What they said

And I wondered
Is that how my students' parents
See me

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting perspective. I always try to think about how I would react to the things that I say to my students' parents at conferences, but I never thought about body language. I am sure they had lots of great things to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your question . . .
      "Is that how my students' parents
      See me?"

      So with all this knowledge, what will you do differently? What will you continue to do? What are you considering to "Stop" doing?

      franmcveigh

      Delete
    2. I feel like I do a lot of the things that I liked such as smiling, relaxed body language and I am personable. I want to focus more on the social skills and not so much on academics as I find that equally important.

      Delete
  2. I don't know about you, but it is so much harder for me to be on the parent side of the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I so badly want them to see things my teacher way but know they are doing the best they can. It took me quite a few years to step back and trust my kids' teachers. :)

      Delete
  3. There are so many things I probably would have done differently if I were a parent when I was a classroom teacher. Being on the other side really changes your perspective, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete