Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Reflecting on the Process

In one of my writing classes today we discussed the difference between a final draft and the process we took to get there. The students were able to pinpoint that the final draft is the final product; the writing that gets handed in. But they struggled with telling me what process they took to get to that final product.

So I asked questions.

When we started author blurbs what did we do first? Next? Then what?

And after a few more questions, they understood the process; the journey to get to this final piece. For me as teacher, I am more concerned with the process they take than the final product. It is through this process that my students learn to become better writers. This is why I teach my students to reflect on what they have written.

Part of my students' writing grade is their reflections. At the beginning of the year, they reflect about the process after the final copy is submitted. As the year goes on, they will learn to reflect during the process, daily. This gets them thinking about their writing. But right now, they aren't quite ready for that.

I go through and pick six to ten questions from Edutopia's 40 Reflection Questions that I feel will help my students reflect on what they just wrote and improve their next writing piece. Done correctly, this reflection will take anywhere from 20-30 minutes. I think sometimes as teachers we forget how important and powerful the reflection process is. It validates to the students that what they have to say is important.

If you don't quite agree, just read the reflection below.








2 comments:

  1. All I can say is "Wow." If this doesn't get teachers to see the importance of reflections, I don't know what will. This shows the power of reflection when, as you say, done correctly. More teachers (including myself) need to spend more time on this step. I wish I could spend a day (or many days) in your classroom and just learn from you. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great testimony you have written about the power and importance of reflection and of process. Sometimes we all value the product more that we probably should when the process is where the learning really takes place. Great post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete