Friday, March 30, 2018

Little Plastic Bins

I am pretty sure that I am borderline OCD. I have this thing about things being neat. All the time.

I am unable to go to sleep if the kitchen is dirty or there are dishes in the sink. And we don't have a dishwasher.

I am unable to work in my classroom if I don't have everything set up for the next school day. Even if it is on the weekend.

I am unable to teach if there are things on the floor such as paper or pencils. It drives me nuts, and I find volunteers to pick these things up so I can move on with my lesson.

I often find myself cleaning out my cupboards at school multiple times a year, even though almost everything is in little plastic bins. Labeled.

I am just one of those people. I used to be worse. My husband has helped me realize that things don't need to be perfectly neat and organized all the time.

But today.

My first day of spring break.

I found myself helping all three of my kids as they cleaned their rooms. Really clean. Move and go through everything type of clean. After four hours. Yes, four hours and three large trash bags of garbage, we have one very calm mother.

Because I don't think I would have been able to relax until it was done.




2 comments:

  1. I wish you'd send that ambition my way. I have been looking at my cupboards for months knowing I need to clean and reorganize them, but I just can't make myself. It's always like a breath of fresh air when everything is reorganized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is so good about this, Elana is that you're not in any denial about how you are! Better to be honest about what you need and how you need your world to be than to ignore or stifle it. Sounds too like you're willing to try and find some balance when it's necessary. Enjoy your break!!

    ReplyDelete