Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The Power of Asking Questions

I spent the last two days at new teacher training with my new district. This is not my first year teaching. In fact, this is year 22 for me. And I was so appreciative for having the opportunity to come together with all the other new teachers, some truly new to teaching, because I had a lot of questions.

And I wasn't afraid to ask them.

Growing up I never asked questions, especially in school.  I didn't want to appear as though I had no idea about what was going on with the lesson. I listened and tried hard to understand the content, but I just didn't get it. And this became routine. In each class, I sat trying to make sense of what my teachers were teaching me. It didn't work. No one bothered me though because I was quiet and well behaved. I was good at looking the part of a confident high school student, but inside, I was a ball of confusion.

Eventually, I fell through the cracks.

Almost.

Good grades and test scores did not get me into college but rather a recommendation letter written by my high school math teacher. I know this because I asked the admission's counselor during my visit to Albion why I was accepted.  This was the  start of my question asking. For so long I had remained silent and decided that day I wanted to hear my voice. So I asked another question: May I read the letter? In my mind the worst thing he could tell me was no, and no really wasn't that bad. He showed it to me. My high school math teacher saw me for who I truly was. Fierce, competitive, and extremely hard working.

Today, I am a go getter, doer, maker, writer, and athlete. I continue to be hard working. and I ask questions.  A lot.

I ask questions because sometimes I am confused.

I ask questions because there are a lot of things I don't know how to do.

I ask questions because I need help.

I ask questions because I want to grow as a person.

I ask questions because I need to know what is going on in the lives of my children.

I ask questions because if I didn't, then I wouldn't be the teacher I am today.







8 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so impressed they let you read the letter. How wonderful it was that you had that opportunity.
    Keep asking questions. As you know, we grow by being inquisitive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allowing me to read that letter changed my life. It gave me the confidence that I needed to have a successful college experience.

      Delete
  2. I appreciated the double-barreled opening punch of "I had a lot of questions. And I wasn't afraid to ask them." Best wishes for continued wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this piece. Your words are 100% what I needed to read tonight. Asking questions does not come easily to me, and it is one of my professional (and personal, let's be honest!) goals for this year. Here's to taking lifelong learning to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it! I always teach my students you should always ask. The worst thing is that someone is not going to give you the answer you are looking for but at least you asked.

      Delete
  4. Where do we get the notion that asking questions is somehow wrong? How many great discoveries would we not have if someone hadn't asked why? or how? or what would happen if? We somehow have to show students that there is nothing wrong with asking questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had a teacher tell me that it was their job to answer questions and grew up feeling like it was wrong because of that. As a teacher, I tell my students it is my job to help and answer questions. I also tell them that if they have a question, it is likely that at least four other people have the same question.

      Delete