Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Encouraging Creativity

"Hi, Mrs. Waugh. Are you putting things on display?" a first grader asked me as I was walking past the display case towards my room. The students entered school on Monday to a new display up in the case: The Global Cardboard Challenge. For the past few weeks, students in my K-1 building have been participating in the cardboard challenge but taking it one step further by bringing me things they created at home out of cardboard and various other items. If it was made out of cardboard, I put it in the display case. If it was made from different material, it is displayed in my STEAM classroom.

My STEAM students take part in a monthly maker mat challenge. I don't remember where I first read about it or who I bought the maker mats from, but they are definitely something I will do in coming years. The maker mats are optional. There are nine squares like a tic tac toe board, and I require at least four activities to be completed during the month and the return of the mat to receive a certificate. I chose four because on average there are four weekends a month. If I can motivate kids to create instead of watching tv or playing on a device, I have succeeded. I then take a picture of the student and put it up in the hall by the Master Makers sign. By the end of this week, I will have 75 photographs on my Master Maker wall for September.

Seventy-five. That means 75 kids used their imagination and took the time to create something. I shouldn't be surprised but I am. It seems to me as though spending Saturday afternoons at the dining room table with crayons, paper, scissors, and anything else parents put out so kids can make something is becoming obsolete. And I am going to try to not let that happen.

I love that my students (all 400+) are so excited to bring me things they make at home and with each treasure, we celebrate.

If it wasn't for my creativity and wild imagination, I wouldn't have made it through high school and further more college. I was the kid who just didn't get it. Academics were a nightmare but throw in some art with a dash of create, and you had me hooked. So when I became a classroom teacher, I was determined to incorporate a lot of art into my lessons.

And I did. Until I couldn't.

As my teaching years added up, the demands placed on teachers were in fierce competition. Data, core programs, 3rd grade reading law. The list goes on and on. After 20 years in the gen ed classroom teaching mostly upper elementary, I took a leap. I left for a creative arts position teaching K-1 STEAM in an early childhood building.

And oh my goodness. This job was meant for me! I am having an absolute blast teaching my students how to use their imaginations, collaborate, try, fail, try again, and be proud of their creations.

Today I was searched for. Needed in a first grade classroom because one little boy made two unbelievable things at home that couldn't wait until I saw his class on Wednesday.

First, he made a maze. Out of legos. And covered it with saran wrap so it was a handheld maze. It is so fun to play.

And second. A robotic hand. Made from cardboard, straws, string, and plastic circles. It moves. And works. He explained to me and his class how he constructed it. He was so proud.

He is six. Let that sink in for a minute. Six.

Someone at home sat with him, talked to him, and was just there, encouraging creativity. We need to do more of that. And I am so glad that I am in the position to do so.


A Lego created maze

A robotic hand made from cardboard

5 comments:

  1. Oh! This is such an inspiring post. I love your passion and enthusiasm--keep on, keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! For the creations and for finding YOUR perfect job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome! I love inspiring students to build and create - and, wow, you certainly have gotten these students excited about this! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! Yes, we need creativity and play time. I hope more parents & guardians celebrate creativity and time away from a device.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you are inspiring the kids! They/We are lucky you joined our staff this year!

    ReplyDelete