Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Rapunzel in the Red Rain

My daughter Kate wants to be an author and illustrator someday. And I have no doubt she is going to be one. She writes. All. The. Time. Buying notebooks is a weekly occurrence in our house. I just can't say no; I would feel like I am squishing her dreams. She also makes things. Cardboard is her current favorite medium and has been for a while. I always say she can make anything out of nothing because she can see the finished product before she begins to create it.

An excerpt from Kate's book
One of Kate's first stories she wrote was in preschool. It was called Rapunzel in the Red Rain.  She still proudly carries it around and recently read it to her fifth grade teacher.

A few days ago Kate came home from school and showed me the book she checked out from her school library: The Exact Location of Home by Kate Messner. This book was a favorite of many of my own fifth grade students last year, and I was thrilled that my daughter was reading it.

I am a huge Kate Messner fan. I was turned onto her books when I read Capture the Flag to my social studies students years ago. All my students were engaged and would beg for me to read more than the time I allotted for. What strikes me about Kate's writing is the way she develops her characters. My daughter is at the age where I am hoping she starts noticing how other authors write and can continue to develop her own style based on the clarity of their work.

So last week I posted this picture of my daughter on twitter giving a shout out to Kate Messner.

And not too long after, came this reply: 


This small act of kindness from an author has transformed my daughter. Kate feels special because someone she looks up to (a writer) made a connection with her with four simple words "from the other Kate!"

As a parent, I can't think of a better role model. Thank you Kate Messner for taking the time to respond. Even when you didn't have to. 


4 comments:

  1. What an awesome and powerful affirmation for your Kate and her dreams and goals!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thumbs up to both Kates! Thanks for sharing this encouraging moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. This is all the social media happiness right here. I, too, have enlisted the power of Twitter connections to authors and illustrators in order to encourage student readers and creators. Win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just so lovely. The power of social media! My college-age students get so excited when they tweet to an author and the author tweets back. Even I'm not immune from the thrill! And I love love love that you buy notebooks weekly. YES!

    ReplyDelete