Thursday, March 28, 2019

These Feet

I knew there was something not quite right about my feet in seventh grade during one ballet class. I couldn't quite get up high enough without tremendous pain. I went home, told my mom, and was in the doctor's office within a week. No arches. My feet were as flat as they could get. The doctor had me fitted for insoles. I remember being in more pain with them in my shoes than without. I ended up abandoning them and just dealt with it. I quit ballet but remained in all the other sports (softball, volleyball, soccer, and basketball) that I was playing at the time.

When I was in high school, I fell in love with lacrosse. It involved a lot of running, which was something I was good at. I played center and had free rein of the field. After my junior year, I realized how much I loved to run. I ran my first 10K that summer and placed in my age group. I continued to run and ended up running cross country in college because my school did not have a lacrosse team. It was then that I realized I was a runner.

After college, running was my constant. But it was a few years into my teaching career that I realized those pains in my feet, that I had ignored for so so many years, were screaming at me. I ended up in a podiatrist's office. He wondered how in the world I was even walking on them. He said if I did not have surgery on my left foot, I wasn't going to be walking when I was 40.

At, 27 years of age, I ended up having triple arthrodesis, a surgery that fuses different joints to your foot. It ends up relieving pain. The four hour surgery became seven  because my foot was that bad.  I was on bed rest for a month and in a cast for three. If you ask my students, they would tell you that I limped for over a year.

My doctor told me that I most likely would never be able to run again.

I listened to him.

Until I didn't.

Four years later, I was back running but with a different appreciation for the sport. I started from ground zero and worked my way up to half marathons (my favorite distance). I have had set backs through injuries (IT band, tendinitis, unexplained muscle pain). Each set back gives me an even greater appreciation to be able to participate in the sport that helps define who I am.

Currently, nineteen years after my surgery, I run three days a week at a 90/30. Ninety seconds of running and 30 seconds of walking. When done correctly, you stay consistent. You never hit a wall, and surprisingly, can set personal records.

But now I appreciate my feet more than ever because it is not my feet giving me the problems, but my lungs. Four weeks ago I came down with asthmatic bronchitis. When this hits my lungs, it will be weeks before I can run. On Monday, I was able to walk for 20 minutes until my lungs were heavy. Today, though, I hit 35 minutes! Thirty-five minutes of walking with a friend on this beautiful spring day.

And my feet.

They led the way.






4 comments:

  1. Oh, running! It's such a beautiful thing...I've been running for over 30 years, until I couldn't. I get it. First, I moved to Guatemala for 2 years, right after running the LA Marathon, and I tried to run just 3 miles at 5,000 feet above sea level. Um. Didn't work out so well. Then, I developed some sort of chronic fatigue/immune issue-running just hurt like hell. I tried, but then my Achilles screamed at me-both of them. After about a 2 year hiatus, somehow, everything seems to be back on track, and I couldn't be happier to be running again. I had to start from 0 too, and, boy, nothing hurts more than that! Thanks for sharing such a poignant, relatable post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a story. I can't imagine the pain you were in. So glad there was a solution. You may not be completely listening to your doctor but you seem to be finding what works for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiring story of determination to do the enjoyed activity. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preserve...and keep listening to your body! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete