Saturday, March 16, 2019

Childhood

I read an article a few weeks ago by Jon Melham. If you haven't read the article, it is a must read. But I will warn you not to read it in a public place. You will end up in tears. The article was about the decision that he and his wife, Marla,  made not to tell their three girls that their mother had 1,000 days to live because "they'd start counting." Marla wanted their girls to have a childhood.

When I think back to my own childhood, I have happy memories. Memories of playing outside with the neighborhood kids until dark, making art projects, playing with friends. My parents encouraged me to try different sports and activities, never settling on just one. So with my own children, I try to do the same although they are growing up in a vast different world than the one I did.

My husband and I want our kids to try things they want to try. Sometimes they are one and done. Sometimes they participate in an activity and want to continue on with it. Whatever the case, I want to help make memories for them so when they are adults they can reflect back on their childhood with a smile.

Today my daughter had a play date with a friend from school. This is the first time I had met this young girl; she is a delight! My daughter and her friends decided that going to Zap Zone would be a fun place to meet up because sickness had taken a hold in both of our houses so that wasn't even an option. The girls opted for purchasing three tickets of fun. They chose laser tag, trampoline, and virtual reality. These are activities they both rarely get to do so it added a bit of excitement in their time together.


As I sat and watched both girls have fun just spending time together, I wouldn't even allow the thoughts of all the things I had to do today creep to the front of my brain. Because it wasn't about me at the moment. It was about my daughter. And her childhood.



1 comment:

  1. Yes. I am so conscious of the fact that I remember my childhood so well and not only that but having kids made me aware of the fact that everybody grows up having their one unique childhood to always look back on. And knowing this I am aware regularly that I am one of the most formidable figures in what will be my three's one childhood they will look back on for the rest of their lives. Such a big honor and responsibility. Great post!

    ReplyDelete