Thursday, March 23, 2017

Taking Ownership

Spring conferences. I wasn't sure what to expect as this year they were student led. I have never done these before but went in with an open mind. I LOVED them.

I loved the relaxed atmosphere around the room because there wasn't a set time the students needed to be there.

I loved watching the students take ownership of their learning as they explained their strengths and weaknesses.

I loved listening to the conversations between parent and student as parents asked thoughtful questions, making their child think.

I loved the explanations the students gave in response to those questions.

I loved when the students helped their parents understand the areas they are struggling with.

I loved the plans they started to create to turn those struggles into strengths.

I loved  all the hard work we did with our data binders as it gave their work meaning.

I loved being able to be there for the students if they needed my guidance.

I loved how poised and versed the students were with their learning.

I loved when the students went off the agenda and just shared everything they were proud of.

I loved everything about them.

But most importantly, I loved just sitting back and witnessing the interaction between parent and child.



5 comments:

  1. And I LOVE this idea! How great to watch this and realize that it's more meaningful to both of them than to hear the teacher talking. Great slice - loved your repetition of words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SLCs are so powerful! I loved the structure of this slice. Your words really resonated with me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative post -- I love how you did that! I've worked with several teachers who had student-led conferences, and I always thought the conferences were very worthwhile. ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  4. So powerful that you and your school provided the space for amazing conversations! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos on your first student led conferences. It's a bit of work uploading and prepping the kids but well worth it.
    https://wordsmithing2017.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete