Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Finding Neverland

For the past few years my students have participated in the Eye for Broadway at the Wharton Center in East Lansing, Mi.  One week out of the school year, I spend class time creating pieces for this event. It is a collaborative effort between all the fifth grade students. This year I teach 90 students writing, and so it seemed fitting for them to create artwork for Finding Neverland. All art pieces are for sale and the money goes into a scholarship fund at the Wharton Center so schools in the area who can't afford it can come and enjoy their ACT School Series. Finding Neverland will be at the Wharton Center from December 12-17th.

I showed my students the movie version a few weeks ago and had them focus on various aspects of it. What stood out to them? What caused J.M. Barrie to create Peter Pan? How do the characters change over time? Why is creativity and imagination important? We talked about his life as a writer and how even really great writers experience writer's block.

One thing I have been  trying to instill in my writing students this school year is that ideas are everywhere. Look. Notice. And just write. Not all writing has to be their best copy. There is a conversation in the movie that sums this up perfectly. It is between Peter and Barrie.

"I don't know what to write about."

"Write about anything. Write about your family or the whale."

"What whale?"

"The one that is trapped in your imagination."

It has taken me a few years to figure out the best way to have all the students in the 5th grade collaborate on a project like this. One class starts the project and when their class period is over, the next class comes in and takes over where the other class left off. We continue this throughout the week until all the pieces are done. We have created as few as 12 pieces to 42, which is what we are creating for Finding Neverland.

All pieces are done on canvases. The Bath Township Meijer graciously donated a $150 gift card, so I could purchase the supplies. Last week, my homeroom students painted all the canvases. They chose bright colors because they felt it represented imagination.

Today was officially day two of creating a representation for Finding Neverland. Things are going very well. Sixteen canvases, one for each letter of the title, are almost done.  I anticipate that tomorrow more will be completed.

We are doing these in a specific order because that is how I see it in my head.

I can't wait to see the finished pieces up in the lobby at the Wharton. And hopefully my favorite piece doesn't sell. I selfishly want it for my classroom.






No comments:

Post a Comment