Saturday, March 31, 2018

An Unexpected Event

I didn't expect it. A phone call, twice, from my husband, John, today while I was grocery shopping.  I was in the checkout line and have this thing about talking on the phone while in public places. So I didn't answer it.

Then, came a text. "Call me ASAP."

Well as you can expect, I started to panic a little. Did something happen to one of my kids? Father? Mother-in-law?

As soon as the checkout lady gave me my receipt, I called John. Apparently, there was a shooting that had turned sour. And the suspect was on foot within a mile of my neighborhood. Police were all over the place, on the ground and in the air.

My husband called me because he wanted to make sure I was safe and to let him know when I was home, so he could walk me in the house.

At home, the shades were drawn and the kids were in the basement as John and I listened to the scanner. They had an eye on the suspect. He was hiding in an empty lumber yard 13 blocks from my house. I had the utmost confidence in the officers.

I live in the city. There are good pockets and not so good ones. Crime happens. I walk my neighborhood and take my kids to the park. I feel safe where I live. But today, it was a little too close to home.

While I sat in my home,  I thought about all those students I have and have had, who live this on a daily basis. The idea of not feeling safe whether it is from wondering when the next meal will come or where they might be moving to next, is something I am unable to fathom.

I began my teaching career 21 years ago. I started out in Detroit and loved it. It was a place that I wanted to be.  But at the same time, I saw things that I never knew imaginable. Kids who only ate during their free breakfast and  lunch at school. A second grader who watched his father kill his mother with a single shot right in front of him. A boy who called 911 because his mother collapsed then held her in his arms because EMS took 45 minutes to get to his house. He was 11, and she died. I remember how proud she was of her son at his first violin concert and how honored I felt when she  introduced me to her parents as her son's teacher. He was such a GREAT kid, and I wonder how he is doing today.

And these stories are only from my first two years of teaching. There are so many more.

This unexpected event that happened to me today, so close to home, was done in a bit over an hour.

But what about those students who live with this fear on a daily basis? And there is no end in sight?

Today I reflected on myself as a teacher. Do I listen enough? Do I hear what my students are telling me when they don't say anything? Am I picking up on subtle hints when they are trying to reach out?

I only hope that when they enter my classroom they always feel safe and know that I only want the best of what they can give me.




6 comments:

  1. Wow...this post is so gut wrenching and powerful. So glad things were ok but we know that all too often it is not the case for our kiddos. I'm sure your students know how much you care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Such sadness and fear. Such worries. What a profound slice to close out this month. I'm sure your students feel safe and loved in your presence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How powerful that you use your fear in this instance to relate to how your students have felt. And then you reflect on yourself as a teacher and what you can give them. This unexpected event reveals many good things about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story is scary. And even more disturbing because kids live in this world every day. I teach in Denver, and many of our students deal with this on a daily basis. My students are super poor, but their neighborhood isn't quite as rough. We ask them to give us everything they have, and they do, but their home lives are heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. What a powerful slice. What an experience for you - and what insights into your students' lives. Thank you for sharing this. Thank you for trying to make a safe, caring space for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a preservice teacher, one of my professors told me that if you spend your entire career in teaching, you will see everything. You will have students die. You will have students who commit crimes- even kill. You will have students who commit suicide. You will have students who suffer unimaginable things at home. It was depressing, and also oh so true. Being the person with the safe space and the kindness and compassion and who is willing to listen is sometimes all we can do. That, and pray that it is somehow enough.

    ReplyDelete