Saturday, March 10, 2018

And There Were Three of Us

When I was younger, my parents exposed me to an array of activities. Anything my sisters and I wanted to try. I took tap and ballet. I dabbled in art classes. I played soccer, softball, volleyball, and lacrosse. I learned how to play the violin, piano, trombone, and clarinet. I went to summer camp. If I wanted to try something out, my parents would find a way to make that happen.

And there were three of us.

As a mother of three myself, I don't know how they did it. Between my husband and I, we shuttle our kids to soccer, basketball, lacrosse, cross country, gymnastics, baseball, and Girls on the Run. And that is just during the school year.  But, I am not sure I would change anything about this. Yes, it gets hectic. We barely have enough time to eat dinner some days. If anything, though, it has taught my children how to budget their time and helped them to be more well rounded.

I am a firm believer that children should be exposed to as many activities as possible when they are younger. I know there are some children who specialize in one sport, and it is all consuming. I won't ever do that to my children. I would be afraid they may get burnt out or regret not being able to have played or participated in other things.

But this is just me.

And this is how I was raised. I am pretty sure my mother would be proud.


My youngest, currently taking gymnastic classes. 






6 comments:

  1. You are obviously recreating your parents generosity!
    I'm sorry your mother isn't there to see the gymnastics meet and all the rest- I imagine she would be proud :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how you don't really understand the sacrifice your parents go through until you have your own children.

      Delete
  2. In my family I joined first and told my parents what I'd signed up for. My mother often reminisced how she was not allowed to do any extracurricular activites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed driving my 2 daughters to soccer, cross country, Irish dance, ballet & play practice. After 5 years of soccer I appreciated our free Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that someday, I will enjoy those free Saturdays!

      Delete
  4. This is a different perspective that I needed to hear today. I'm careful not to overschedule, but trying new things is also an important part of life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete