Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The Unexpected

If you have been in a book store, I am sure you have seen them. Maybe you never noticed them or walked right by without giving a moment to reading them. You know the books, wrapped in brown paper. Usually there is the brown wrap with a little card that tells just enough about the book that you are intrigued. You buy the book based off that card, go home, unwrap, and read. It's a brilliant idea.

Today, while I was at the book store, I noticed them. Blind Date With a Book they are called. These ones were in the used book section and targeted towards kids. Instead of a little note card that gave information, it was written right on the book. It was straight forward so a kid could understand. And colorful!

Because they were used, I bought a lot. I thought about a variety of lessons I could do with my students using these books. I am glad I stumbled across this today. And even more glad that I  took the time to stop and read them.



Some of my find today.



A close up version of one of the books.

7 comments:

  1. What a find! It would be fun to do with books in the classroom library that are not getting the attention they should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my thoughts exactly. Then I thought we could take these books and put them into the school library so other students could read them. I was also thinking of doing some predicting and review with them. The possibilities are endless!

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of these! Looks interesting - I'll check some out at the local bookstore next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked the guy at the desk and he said they usually do it with new books but decided to do some with the used books to try to sell them. Genius in the marketing department!

      Delete
  3. Love this slice - and it makes me want to go to the bookstore right now! Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a locally owned bookstore but I have also seen it at our local library. What a great way to not judge a book by its cover.

      Delete