Tuesday, October 9, 2018

The Beginning of the Alphabet

I was raised in a home where grades didn't matter but effort did. I am not sure if it was because my younger sister and I struggled in school, the decade we were raised in, or because that is what was important to my parents. Needless to say, my report cards never saw the beginning of the alphabet.

I started school in the late 1970's before developmental kindergarten, pressure and demands. Before competition and that's not good enough. I have vivid memories of my father dropping me off  where nap time was a staple and "playing" was a way to teach cooperation and social skills. I remember bringing my beloved tinker toys for show and tell and then being allowed to build with them.

In first grade I learned how to hold a pencil, form my letters, write and read. I also learned that if I took too long to go to the bathroom the nun that I had was not having anything to do with it. There were consequences and a ruler would suffice.

You didn't argue, let alone talk back to any adult. You were at school to learn social and academic skills.  And as the grades increased in school, so did the content.

The earliest memory that I have of things not going as planned was in second grade. I remember being in the lowest reading group and barely being able to read.

And I felt stupid.

For many years.

Until I met Mrs. Teles.

Mrs. Teles was one of the first teachers to meet me where I was at and bring me up from there. I was lucky enough to have her in fourth and sixth grade. She knew right away that something was not right.

There were meetings.  A lot of them. Between her and my parents. I was tested; I didn't qualify.

But if you fast forward 35 years and tested that same little curly haired girl today, there would have been a different outcome.

Education has changed dramatically since I was a student and even a new teacher. So many more demands. 

Better.
Faster.
Quicker.

What happened to reading for enjoyment? Playing outside? Homework beginning in middle school? Letting kids be kids?

I hope we can find the answers to those questions because I don't have much longer before my own children are grown and gone, and I want to enjoy their company as much as I can.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder about all the results driven efforts that we go to. Sometimes, learning is lost in the mix. I really enjoyed your slice.

    ReplyDelete