Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Kindgergarten Cuteness

My kindergarten STEAM students are currently working on part two of their mixed media art project. During this part, we learned about architects, looked at various buildings around the world, observed different skylines, and listened to Iggy Peck, Architect. I then gave the students a choice of which skyline template they wanted to use. They had three to choose from. Next, they needed to color their buildings. Not boring colors but bright, bold ones, that would stand out.

If you have ever been around kindergartners, then you know that some of them are scribblers. They just want that picture colored in and don't care how it is going to get done. It is just going to get done and fast. So I pulled out my skinny magical color neatly like an artist does markers for students to use. They worked for a few minutes, then I stopped them.

"Oh my goodness! Do I have fifth graders in here?"

"No. We are in kindergarten."

"Well you are doing such an amazing job coloring that I thought you were fifth graders. Why don't you stop what you are doing and walk around? Look at the bright colors your friends are using. Notice how neat they are."

As students walked around, I walked around, listening to their conversations.

A little boy said, "Sophia, you are doing a really nice job coloring. Usually you just scribble but look how nice and neat your picture is. And you are staying in the lines. I really like your picture."

The little girl didn't say anything back. She just sat a little straighter, smiled, and continued coloring. That compliment changed her for the moment. When she was done, she came up to me and said, "Mrs. Waugh. This is the neatest I have ever colored."

"You did a nice job. Do you like your picture?"

"Yes. Can you help me cut it out?"

I guess I should have also brought with me my super slow I can cut scissors.

Maybe next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment