Saturday, March 23, 2019

The Power of Music

I am not musically inclined.

When I was younger I took lessons on the clarinet, trombone, piano, and guitar. I play none of those instruments today and struggled through those lessons 35 years ago.

I love music though. I love listening to choirs sing, bands perform, and orchestras serenade.

I love musicals too, Annie being my favorite. When I hear the orphans sing "It's a hard knock life," I am brought back to the beginning of my teaching career when a student of mine at the time, Stephanie, was cast in the role of Molly in the local production of the show. I remember sitting in the audience and listening to her belt out her parts. I can still picture her eight year old self.

Today while I was out and about, the Counting Crows came on the radio. Instantly I was back in college, sophomore year to be exact. Sitting in my dorm room. I remember it distinctly. I then got to thinking. What is it about music that elicits memories?

I don't really have an answer.

Because I am not musically inclined.


No comments:

Post a Comment