Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Twenty-Four

I first started playing lacrosse my sophomore year of high school. It was new to Ann Arbor, and the only teams we played were in the Detroit area, mostly private schools. These girls were good because  they began playing at a very young age.

So when I had the opportunity last year to involve both of my girls in a U10 lacrosse program, I jumped at the chance. And I volunteered my time to help coach them. The team already had two other coaches (both volunteer dads), and we ended up making a really good coaching team.

Unfortunately, this year most of my players from last moved up to the U12 team, including the two other coaches. In January, if all players returned, I would be lucky to have had five players. You need at least nine players to field a team. So I did a little recruiting. Encouraged girls to come try the clubs free stick sessions. Before I knew it, I had 12 girls showing up consistently. Well apparently, these girls had fun, because they started recruiting their friends.

Currently, I have 24 girls on my roster. Tonight we had practice; it was such a fun time. Many girls were upset when it was time to go. They wanted to stay longer. I have been so impressed with how quickly they are picking up the sport, and I am beyond excited for the season. These girls have stepped out of their comfort zone to try something new.

That.

That right there tells me a lot about who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment