Tuesday, April 11, 2017

A Simple Thank You

When I was younger, I had to write thank you notes. For everything. As I got older it seemed to be ingrained in me that this is what I should and needed to do. 

Then.

I had kids. 

And the idea of "having" to write a thank you note seemed like one more thing to do. 

So I stopped. But that didn't mean that I wasn't appreciative of things that were given to me. 

As a teacher, I am given a lot of things. 

By my students. 

All the time. 

They know my favorite candy bar is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. There is a story to that. I blame it on my mother. 

I get a lot of Reese's. 

I have every intention of writing thank you notes for all of those gifts, but it seems to be a chore for me rather than something genuine. So I don't do it. But I still say thank you. 

Today though, I am writing thank you notes. Because I need to and want to. I want to thank the students who took the 31 day Slice of Life Challenge with me. They need to know that I appreciate their willingness to write every day. Or almost everyday. At home. On their own. They need to know that I value their writing and that it is important. 

Today I am writing thank you notes. Because it feels genuine and right.

And the thought of how they will feel when they receive a card in the mail from "their teacher" makes my heart smile. 



  

1 comment:

  1. A great reminder of the power of gratitude and the impact of little things - and how those kids will love those wonderfully encouraging notes from you.

    ReplyDelete