Sunday, March 18, 2018

A Commenting Marathon Reflection

I took part in my first ever commenting challenge which I equate to a commenting marathon. I do writing marathons in my classroom each month and this commenting challenge was very similar. It was hard at first because let's be honest, 75 comments is A LOT! But the more I commented, the more I found I wanted to read what people had to say and the A LOT became quite doable. I learned a lot about people and how they think and how they write. I am most intrigued with a blogger from Australia who lives in India and opened up a school for children with her husband. I am sure I will be visiting her blog more frequently to see what she is up to. I am not sure I would have found her had I not taken part in this challenge.

Another thing I did during this challenge was keep track of different types of slices my fifth graders could do to vary up their normal writing routine and experiment. I made a list for them that I will print up and hand out tomorrow. Many of these ideas I saw multiple times from different bloggers over this past weekend. And I am sure I will experiment with them as well.

Ideas for my fifth graders based off of the commenting challenge:


Party-If you were to have a party and the following attending, what/who
would they be and why.
Favorite book
Favorite person
Favorite food
Favorite song
A Surprise
They’d see...
But wouldn’t know…
If someone were to come to your house what would they see? Then what would they not know about that thing they saw.


Example:
They’d see the butterfly made out of a clothespin hanging from the ceiling in bedroom.
But wouldn’t know my son made that for me when he was in preschool. It was a Mother’s Day present. It is one that constantly reminds me of him in his four year old days.

Six word stories/memoirs
Can you write a story or memoir in six words? It is harder than you think.
Example: For sale: Baby shoes. Never worn. -Ernest Hemingway

I could write about...For this, start each sentence with things you could write about and tell me why using because.

Things I didn’t do today...Title your piece: Things I Didn’t Do Today and write about all the things you didn’t do today because you were busy doing other things making sure to explain why you didn’t do them.

Then and Now-Think back to your younger days, maybe 1st or 2nd grade. What were some things you did then vs. things you do now? You can have a list of then things followed by a list of now things.

I can write with..-Notice the things around you at this present moment. Start each line with I can write with and continue with what you hear and see around you. Try to go for eight lines.
Example: I can write with the conversations from my son’s video game.

Poetry-Write a poem about something that happened in your day.  
Experiment with author’s craft.

A Collection of Slices-Write a collection of small slices that could be turned
into larger slices. These are one or two sentences that tell about your day.
Try to go for eight.
Example: My daughter and I had a tea party with her tea set that she has
had for years.

A List of Things I should Be Doing, But I’m Not-
Make a list of things you should be doing in your life, but you are not.
Go for at least ten things on your list.
Example: Reading 20 pages a day.

              Five More Minutes-Think of someone or a pet close to you that has passed
away. Think of the memories you had with them.
Make a list of eight of those memories.
Now if you had five more minutes with each memory, what would you have
done?


My record keeping

2 comments:

  1. Your observations are very impressive, and adapting them to use with your students is brilliant! Thanks for sharing. :-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your observations. It's a treasure trove. I'm still working on my comments, here at the deadline. I've noticed commenting has gotten easier as I've gone. That's quite an aha. Earlier in the month three was challenging, 15-20 unimaginable. Now my challenge is that I've found so many wonderful blogs to follow. My students thank you in advance for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete