Saturday, March 17, 2018

Sixty Percent Off

This morning when I checked my email, I looked at the one from Two Writing Teachers regarding the mid-month commenting challenge. As I read, I thought to myself that I could possibly do this. 

Commenting on 75 blogs is A LOT. But I like reading other people's posts. I enjoy seeing what they have to say and to get ideas for future posts. If I did ten an hour, that wouldn't be too bad. Furthermore, if I spread this out over today and tomorrow, it would be doable.

I don't need to go into school this weekend because, amazingly, I am caught up on most things. The papers that need to be corrected can be done from my couch. And all the other things on my list will get done sooner or later. So I thought to myself, why not.

Then it got me thinking. Why not do a mid-month commenting challenge with my own students who are participating in the Slice of Life challenge. My students are using notebooks and besides me or their parents, no one is reading what they have to say.

So I came up with a flyer that I will hand out on Monday, and I bought some prizes as an incentive. Each student who participates in the challenge will be entered to win. I went a little overboard on prizes because Michaels had them all 60% off, although I think it was more than that. 

I hope my student challenge turns out how I envision in it my head. 

Now, I am off to comment on ten more posts. Only 65 left to do!

Some of the prizes for my student commenting challenge. 



10 comments:

  1. What a great idea!!! I think I'm going to do the same on Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!!! I think I'm going to do the same on Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! And I loved the way you got me into the post with the comment about the picture. Made me laugh! I really hope the commenting challenge for your students works out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post takes us on the journey in your mind from a self-challenge to a shared challenge. "Then it got me thinking" is a sure line of pure creativity to follow. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea for your students, and I like the prizes you picked. :-) Yes, your picture is upside down, but I might not have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it, ha! ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  6. In agreement with the others here...awesome idea. Glad you're commenting on student work that no one is reading. That's one of the benefits I didn't see as important when we started this. But it's the comments that make it so much easier to write each day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have found that most of my comments are on student blogs. There are just never enough commenters to make our students feel like their writing is being read. I'm certain you will make your goal by tomorrow night. What a great example you are for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I love that you are incentivizing commenting on each other's writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, commenting on 75 posts is doable. You’re #102 for me. Love your commenting idea for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful idea. We all like to be recognized - your students will have a wider audience. All the best in your own commenting challenge - you can do it!

    ReplyDelete