Friday, March 16, 2018

Taking Notice

When I attended an NCTE session in November at their National Conference, I was introduced to a video that I have used multiple times in my classroom. The premise behind this video was to teach students how to notice details that others pass by.

Yesterday, I pulled this video up again and showed it to one of my writing classes. I have watched this video so many times, but yesterday I noticed new things such as the water glasses on the table, the bird in its cage, and the bracelet on a boy's wrist. I wanted my students to notice things in the Kahoot we were about to play. I wanted them to read the questions carefully and figure out why I had written them.

So today, I did a lot of noticing.

I noticed how strong I felt swimming in the pool this morning.

I noticed the blue sky creeping up a little earlier as I drove to school.

I noticed my students reciting the class password over and over so they wouldn't forget it.

I noticed how well my students listened and followed directions.

I noticed a little more pep in one boy's step as he was excited for a sleepover tonight.

I noticed that I felt quite relaxed for a Friday.

I noticed the students in all of my writing classes who studied for their quiz today. They had a confidence about them.

I noticed the wind as it hit my face while out at recess.

And I noticed how tired I am.

When I stop and take notice, it seems as though time slows down.

Maybe I will do a little more noticing tomorrow, because life is flying by too fast.



No comments:

Post a Comment