Thursday, March 8, 2018

Twelve

I have been thinking about drafting this post all day today and each time in my head it changes. I haven't quite found the way that I want to start it or say what I want to say. There are so many different avenues I can take with this one. 

Today my son turned 12. We both took the day off of school and spent time together. Over the past year I have realized that these moments are dwindling, and I am going to soak them up as long as I can. Because in the grand scheme of things, he is not going to remember what he did in school on his 12th birthday, but he is going to remember that we both didn't go and he had Mom's attention all day.

So in his honor, here is a list of 12 things about my son.

1. He is honest. One of the most honest people I know. Maybe because he is the oldest. A few weeks ago he was allowed to use a calculator on his math homework and refused to because he felt like that was cheating.

2. He is quiet. He always has been. When he was born, he only cried for a split second. Then he spent the next few hours staring at everything and everyone around him.

3. He is calm. Rarely have I ever heard him raise his voice, even when his sisters are bothering him.

4. He sticks up for others. One of my proudest Mom moments is when he was in 4th grade. His  teacher told me at conferences that he sticks up for other kids in class that are getting picked on. He often will tell others to knock it off because that just isn't nice.

5. He is athletic. Nothing brings me more joy than watching him run a race or play a soccer game. He is fast and a quick thinker.

6.  He is practical. He specifically asked that I not buy decorations or balloons for the dining room this year as he thought it was a waste of money. Decorating the dining room on one's birthday has been a tradition in our family since my kids were little. So I took that money that I saved and bought a ton of candy and scattered it on the table.

7. He is not a picky eater. He will eat  anything except raspberries and carrots. He always makes wise choices and fills his body with nutritious foods (unless it is his birthday and he eats candy all day)!

8. He loves to hike. This past summer when we were in Marquette, he couldn't get enough of the trails. He takes after his mom and dad on this one.

9.  He likes board games. One of the few things he asked for, for his birthday was a board game. Despite all the technology in his life, he enjoys a good game of Mastermind.

10. He is really good at chess. I am not sure who it was who taught him how to play, but he is exceptional at it. He can read the board and will always be two steps ahead of his opponent.

11. He likes things in order. He will not read a book series unless he starts with book number one. Even if the series allows you to read books out of order without affecting the story.

12. He is just a great kid. I am not sure how I got so lucky.  I can't wait to see where life is going to take him.


Happy 12th birthday to my only son. 









2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you took the day off to spend time with your son. I don't have any kids and I would get so annoyed when a parent wouldn't send their kid to school on their birthday. I have SO much to do and I feel like I don't have any extra time to make up things they missed. This post helped me realize that there are far more important things in life then missing a day of school. You are right, he will always remember you taking the day off to spend time with him on his 12th birthday for the rest of your life. Thank you for helping me see a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never understood why parents did this until I did for the first time last year. My kids never miss school so I didn't see it as a problem. I am happy that this post showed you another perspective.

      Delete