Saturday, March 3, 2018

Twenty




I was inspired by a post I read yesterday to write this one today. The idea is that you write a number of things about yourself for how many years you have been a part of The Slice of Life Challenge. Instead of writing about me, I chose to write about my mother. And I am going to write 20 things about her because this June will be 20 years without her. 

1. My mother was extremely independent. Rumor has it she asked my dad to marry her!

2. My mother was a social worker, teacher, lawyer and business owner. 

3. My mother went through law school when I was in second grade. I still remember her studying for the bar examine one night while she was helping me with homework. 

4. My mother always saw the good in people. 

5. My mother was extremely generous. She liked to donate her time and resources to the less fortunate. 

6. My mother raised my sisters and I to ALWAYS send thank you notes anytime anyone gave you a gift. 

7. My mother loved to travel. She went to Europe when she was 18 and often took us on trips with my father up and down the east coast. 

8. My mother introduced me to the love of the outdoors. My family and I went camping every summer from the time I was two until I was a junior in high school. 

9. My mother loved her grandchildren. Although she was only alive to meet two of them, she would have soaked up the seven that came after her death. 

10. My mother married my father in August of 1968 and passed away a month and some change from their 30th wedding anniversary. 

11. My mother was thoughtful. When she knew she wasn't going to make it to Christmas, she had purchased gifts for my sisters and me that would be placed under the tree to let us know that she was thinking of us. 

12. My mother was one of the instrumental founders of the lacrosse team at my high school. I think she would be happy to know that this year I am helping to coach my daughters' lacrosse team. 

13. My mother always went out of her way to make our birthdays feel special. 

14. My mother worked. I don't remember her not working. Even when she became sick. 

15. My mother was very proud of her children. All three of us couldn't be more different from one another, but we each have a unique  part of her in our personalities. 

16. My mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer my senior year of college. 

17. My mother fought a long battle. Long enough to see me through my first year of teaching. 

18. My mother died in June of 1998. She told my father she was ready to go with her mother, father, and sister, Sally, who were apparently in the room waiting for her.  They had all preceded her in death. To this day I find comfort in knowing she wasn't alone. 

19.  My mother left my sisters and I a little sheet of paper with a phrase of how she saw the each of us. It was given to us after she passed away. It is the one thing I cherish from her. 

20. My mother was amazing, and I hope that I grow to be half the person that she was. 




3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! I’m trying to type this with tears in my eyes. Your words in honor of your mother were amazing and perfect. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elana,

    Your mother was amazing! What a wonderful way to think of her - just beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful, beautiful post. what a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete