Wednesday, March 6, 2019

A Bit Too Good

One of my favorite sports that I played growing up was lacrosse.  It was relatively new to my high school when I joined the team. And I found that I was really good at it. I played center and rarely lost a draw. I could read the field and know what was happening before it happened. I loved that game and went through a bit of mourning when I realized my college didn't have a team.

A few years ago the town where my daughters attend school began a U10 lacrosse program for girls. The high school has a reputation for being really good, so I was excited that my girls could be exposed to the sport I love at such a young age. Last year was their first year playing, and I found myself helping to coach the team. Almost all the players had never played before. They improved immensely throughout the season and had a great time.

Well, lacrosse season has rolled around again and a few months back I was a bit worried that we wouldn't even have enough girls to play because most of ours from last year were moving up to the fifth/sixth grade team. So I did a little recruiting. Maybe a little too much. The club offered free stick sessions to come try the sport out. I invited a few kids who ended up inviting a few more and well, you know where that ended up.

Currently I have 16 first through fourth graders on my team and I know of at least four more who will be signing up. Twenty is a great number especially when many of the girls play multiple sports. I am thrilled to be able to help instill a love of the game with players this young.

Now I need to figure out how to make sure all the girls get equal playing time!

1 comment:

  1. I became familiar with lacrosse when my friend's son started playing about 6 years back. My friend became so interested that she now coaches young girls. Just like with your girls, most of them had not played before and are just learning. They too are making great progress. Good luck to your team!

    ReplyDelete