Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Supports

One of the things that my school does really well is meet the needs of students, whether this be in small groups or one one one. Besides my responsibility as a STEAM teacher, I meet with two students on an individual basis before my plan time, check in with another, and meet with two groups after my lunch offering support with their reading. This afternoon only one of the four students in my first group was here. The other three were out sick. Since there was only one student, I told this child's teacher that she would be back before her normal one o'clock time.

When we got to the room and started our lesson, this girl asked, "Can I stay the whole time?"

"Sure," I replied. "But don't you want to get back to your class?"

"Yes and no."

"What do you mean?"

"Yes because I like my class, but no because I like being in here."

"Why is that?"

"Because I like what we do. I feel like I am getting better at reading."

And just like that, we worked the full 30 minutes. We went through our routine but instead of competing with three others for my attention, it was just her. Something I think she needed.

And we did finish a few minutes early. But instead of sending her back, I asked if she wanted to help me get things ready for my DK class.

She was elated.

It was then when I realized that sometimes, those small connections make all the difference in the world.

3 comments:

  1. So true!
    So nice she could articulate her feelings, and trust you to listen.
    I hope you will have many special moments with this one girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a wonderful experience, which I'm sure your student appreciated. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a wonderful experience, which I'm sure your student appreciated. I love this!

    ReplyDelete