Monday, March 11, 2019

Pneumonia and Legos

I called a co-worker tonight, and she didn't pick up. She was probably busy with her three young kids at home. A little while later I received a text from her asking "What's up?"

I replied with, "If I have pneumonia, can I borrow your legos?"

After I sent it, I realized how funny that sounded and of course I heard her in my head saying "What? Of course!"

It started a week ago Sunday with a soar throat. I started my inhaler routine so my reactive asthma wouldn't set in followed by bronchitis. I have had a pretty good success rate with this. Three years now and nothing. But this time, I wasn't so lucky.

Sunday: Soar throat (Oh crap.)

Monday: Soar throat and so exhausted that it took all I could muster to put one foot in front of the other. (Oh no. I hope I am not getting the flu. It is going around my school.)

Tuesday: Still tired. Can't get up. (I muscle through the day.)

Wednesday: Soar throat is gone but now I have developed a little bit of a cough. (Still tired.)

Thursday: Feeling a lot better. (Sucking on cough drops all day long.)

Friday: Feel great. (Up at 4:30 am, at the pool at 5. Swam a mile. Had lots of energy. Celebrated my son's 13th birthday.)

Saturday: EXHAUSTED! Slept until 11:45 am (which is a record for me).

Sunday: Slept in again and went to a lacrosse coach training. We got out early and I didn't run around at all, which was good. (Went to bed at 8pm.)

Monday: Woke up feeling pretty good despite this annoying cough and loss of voice.

I am so in tune with my body that I knew this wasn't just a cold that lingered. So tonight I went to Fast Care. Told the nurse my story. She listened to me breathe. A lot. Had me cough. Listened to me breathe again.  She sent me for a chest x-ray. Might be pneumonia.

I asked, "If it is pneumonia, can I go to school tomorrow morning? I am taking the afternoon off."

"Um, no," was her reply.

I don't have time for this. Keeping my fingers crossed that it is my reactive asthma having fun with my lungs.

So now I wait but I would like a call soon. Those plans won't get done on their own. And of course legos would be involved.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh - my fingers are crossed for you. The title drew me in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't have it and that you get to enjoy the legos with your kiddos. I did wonder briefly if you had a penchant for playing with legos while sick! Feel better and listen to your body.

    ReplyDelete