Saturday, March 24, 2018

Algebra X

Algebra X is what helped me get into college but not the way you might think. Algebra X was the slower version of math at the high school I went to. Everything was done at a gradual pace, and it took twice as long to get through the material. It was for those kids who struggled a bit. And I was definitely one of them.

I don't remember a time I didn't have a hard time in school. Even through my second year of sixth grade. I struggled in high school and college. The two things I was really good at were sports and art. I definitely was a right brained kid. I think I received points on my SAT because I put my name on the paper and scored below the minimum requirement on the ACT. And yes, I took both of those multiple times. Some might say that I needed to work harder, study more. But the fact was I just didn't get school. My brain wasn't wired the way most of the teachers taught.

I had Algebra X for two years in high school. And my teacher, Mr. Kisken, got all of us. He was straight and to the point with his instruction, often modifying the workload or making the worksheets himself. I felt successful in his class. It wasn't what he did in the classroom that helped me get into college, but rather what he did out of it.

Mr. Kisken made it a point to come to our extra curricular activities, whether it be sports, theater, or dance. He was an avid photographer and often took pictures of us during these events and gave us the prints. He wanted us to see ourselves how he saw us, as someone who can achieve greatness with the right work ethic. Because most of us in his class struggled academically, he saw us in the light where we shined.

Mr. Kisken was the first teacher who I felt knew and got me, so it was a no brainer to ask him to write me a recommendation letter for college. Honestly, with my grades and scores, I didn't think I was going to get in anywhere. I didn't apply to many, but there was one that I really wanted to attend and that was Albion College in Albion, Michigan.

It was during my second college visit there that someone in admissions sat down and talked to me. I told him my worries about getting into Albion. He asked me if I had received this letter. He proceeded to hand me a copied version of my acceptance letter. I didn't get it. My test scores and G.P.A. were lower than their minimum requirement. He then handed me the letter of recommendation from Mr. Kisken and said, "This is what got you into Albion." He let me read the letter and to this day I am forever grateful that he took the time to watch me on the lacrosse field.

As a teacher, I have tried to watch my students in their extra curricular activities. Before having my own kids, it was much more frequent, but now my kids have their own activities on the weekends and it rarely happens.

But today was one of those days where the stars aligned and between gymnastics and soccer, I was able to watch two students in a basketball tournament.  In class, they are both sweet, hard working girls. But on the court, I saw a different side of them. An aggressive side with the same strong work ethic. They fought hard to the end. And I wouldn't have expected anything less.





1 comment:

  1. What a lovely tribute to Mr. Kisken and a reminder to all of about what really matters in this job. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete