Monday, March 26, 2018

The Clicking Hand

I started reading my students Love That Dog by Sharon Creech today. If you are not familiar with it, the book is written in poetry form following a conversation between a student and his teacher, although you never know what the teacher has said, you can just infer based on what is written.

I love this book because it is simple yet tells a great story. This post today is inspired by a poem in the book.

The Red Wheelbarrow
by Williams Carlos Williams

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.


The Clicking Hand
by Elana Waugh

so much depends
upon

the movement of
time

with the clicking
hand

as it takes
forever

6 comments:

  1. I haven’t not yet heard of this book. I will look for it. I enjoyed thinking about the hand and what it would be doing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love giving this book to my reluctant readers because it is short and fast moving. She also has Hate That Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as that hand's clicking, you and your ideas are moving forward :) I like how you grab inspiration wherever you can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book!! My fourth graders picked up on Jack's poems, and wrote lots of their own off of this poem. It went on and on and on all year! Keep writing-- we are almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that book and how Jack uses imitation to inspire his writing. And we can do it, too. I'm wondering what your clock is ticking toward... end of the day? Maybe spring break? :-)

    ReplyDelete